Established AVA 1984
- Oregon’s oldest viticulture region is considerably cooler than the Rogue Valley
- The area also has the highest annual rainfalls within the SOWA boundaries – 52.5 in Elkton and 33.5 in Roseburg.
- This climate lends itself well to the Rhone varietals such as Syrah, Viognier and Grenache and the Spanish Tempranillo, Albariño and Graciano.
- Temperatures may vary as much as 60° in the summer.
- The valley consists of a wide range of soils including alluvial, terrace and upland.