Southern Oregon Wine Tasting
Southern Oregon is best known for its Pinot Noir. But with over 150 microclimates in southern Oregon there is so much more to our expanding wine country with topography ranging from beautiful crisp mountains, refreshing river valleys and arid high desserts. Because of our vast range of climates, our valley offers varietals like chardonnay, cabernet franc, albariño, viognier, malbec, gewürztraminer, syrah and Spanish varietals like tempranillo and, of course. pinot noir. Below is a list of our most prominent wineries and some of the delightful varieties they offer. Let Southern Oregon meet your grape expectations!
Cabernet sauvignon, Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet franc, Grenache, Tempranillo, Viognier and Syrah
3285 Hillcrest Road, Medford
Local Wine Tours
Southern Oregon’s American Viticultural Areas
Applegate Valley Wineries
Established AVA 2001
- Warmer and drier than the neighboring Illinois Valley but not as warm as the Bear Valley area which follows the I-5 corridor.
- The Applegate Valley is home to Bordelaise varieties such as Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon in addition to Syrah and Chardonnay.
- The Applegate, Illinois and Bear Valleys are considered all sub-sections of the Rogue Valley.
- Soils include decomposed granite derived from stream terraces and alluvial fans.
Schmidt Family Vineyards
Woolridge Creek Winery
John Michael Champagne Cellars
Red Lily Vineyards
Valley View Winery
Rogue Valley Wineries
Established AVA 1991
- Considered one of the hottest growing regions in Oregon.
- Approximate rainfall: 20-35 inches annually.
- Similar to France’s Bordeaux region, its warm dry climate benefits Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Gris, Malbec and Syrah.
- Soils range from sandy loam to hard clay.
Cliff Creek Cellars
Del Rio Vineyards
Agate Ridge Vineyard
Ledger David Cellars
Daisy Creek Vineyard
Quady North Winery
South Stage Cellars
2 Hawk Vineyard & Winery
Umpqua Valley Wineries
Established AVA 1984
- Oregon’s oldest viticulture region is considerably cooler than the Rogue Valley
- The area also has the highest annual rainfalls within the SOWA boundaries – 52.5 in Elkton and 33.5 in Roseburg.
- This climate lends itself well to the Rhone varietals such as Syrah, Viognier and Grenache and the Spanish Tempranillo, Albariño and Graciano.
- Temperatures may vary as much as 60° in the summer.
- The valley consists of a wide range of soils including alluvial, terrace and upland.
Misty Oaks Vineyard
Sienna Ridge Estate
Henry Estate Winery
Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyard
Glaser Estate Winery
Southern Oregon Wine Institute
Wild Rose Vineyards